I (almost) never keep my new year’s resolutions… so this year, instead of resolutions, I thought I’d take the time to write out a few things I learned this year that I don’t want to forget. (And I’m sure this will be a work in progress as I remember more things to add…)
1. Dreams can still come true… even the dreams you gave up on a long time ago. (In January of 2010, I got to go back to college after a 15 year “break.”)
2. There’s a huge difference between love and trust. Love doesn’t have an expectation of return, while trust requires reciprocity. Love freely, but trust cautiously.
3. If you want to help others, you have to take care of yourself. If you don’t, you might burn out to the point where you’re no longer helpful to anyone.
4. When you’re searching for the place where you belong, you will find many more places where you don’t belong… and that’s OK.
5. Charisma is no substitute for character and maturity… and charisma without true humility and teachability is just plain dangerous.
6. The best teacher in the world is someone whose perspective on the subject is different from your own.
7. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you will still fail. That’s life. Sometimes, no matter how much you DESERVE to fail, you will still succeed. That’s grace! Failure is not necessarily God’s judgment, and success is not necessarily God’s endorsement.